Monday, July 21, 2008

Around the horn

A few quick things to catch up on, much of which deserves it's own post, but in the interest of actually getting something up here, here goes:

- There is a new Crooked Fingers album coming out soon, which is very exciting news. Yet another band that I was introduced to by Gamera- this one through an ambitious 2-disc retrospective which includes an absolutely perfect first disc of all Archers of Loaf. I've grown into a huge Eric Bachmann fan over the past few years, and while I wasn't there for the Archers days I've been lucky to see several excellent live shows, both with Crooked Fingers, and especially solo. Apparently he has decided to leave Merge, which I was sorry to hear about, but it's hard to argue with his reasons. Makes you wonder why any indies really bother with labels at this point (at least the ones selling 10k per album). Anyway, hopefully this works out for him and he can move out of the van.

- Fleet Foxes. If I wrote this last week my review would be lukewarm, but as I'm getting past the Jim James voice similarity (imitation?) I'm really enjoying this more and more. Beautiful music, despite the distraction.

- Operation Filmmaker. Excellent documentary about an Iraqi film student invited to work on an American film production, and the general disaster that ensues. The amazing thing about this film is just how completely poorly just about everyone in the film comes off (director included). When the problems became clear in the first 10 minutes of the film I really wondered where it would go for another 90 minutes, but the snowballing mess is quite compelling. Only complaint was the end- it seemed too abrupt, and I really wanted to know what happened to these people. Maybe in part 2?

- Wolf Parade- At Mount Zoomer. Not bad but I'm feeling let down. On it's own it's a decent album but compared to Apologies to the Queen Mary it's not holding up for me. Soldier's Grin is an excellent opener but where are the epics? 11 minute songs don't count- I want more Dinner Bells! I managed to snag tickets to this immediately sold out show in Boston in August and just realized that I can't go. Not at all pleased about this.

- I did, however, just get tickets to go see this guy at the end of the month. I'm hoping he wears more clothes in Cambridge. 

- Red Sox vs Orioles, 7/12/08. Sox 12, Orioles 1. In Attendance: Irene
Not a lot to report from this one except that the Sox completely embarrassed the O's. In the 8th we moved down to field level seats, where I remarked that I've never caught a foul ball, and on the next pitch had a towering foul fall 2 feet to the right of me. Never had one come that close and there was no way I was putting my hands anywhere near it. 

Finally, per a recent discussion with Gamera, here's Geddy Lee with rotisserie chickens roasting live on stage. Anyone know why?

4 comments:

Crispin H. Glover said...

I've been trolling the internet for answers the the Rush/chickens thing and no one has an answer. The party line seems to be that there is no underlying motive other than it's funny and Rush are nothing if not funny. They're not always credited for their sense of humor but it's there. Check out their recent appearance on the Colbert Report for confirmation. Such polite Canadian lads.

Jimbama said...

best i could do, from an interview with geddy:

Q Your tour visuals are often quite funny. I especially like the giant rotisserie oven full of roasting chickens that's part of the Snakes & Arrows stage setup. What's the deal with that?
A Everybody likes chicken, right? I like chicken.
Q Are they real chickens?
A I can't discuss that. Those are part of the secret to my bass sound. Those roasters give me a hotter and tastier sound.

Crispin H. Glover said...

See? Funny guy. He's so underappreciated. I want a t-shirt with GHeddy Lee's head on it. Well, not his head but an image of his face.

Henry Robinson said...

Nausea, vomiting, dizziness, headache, abdominal ache, lack of appetite, hair fall, slight fever, and sore throat are a number of the common but transient aspect results of this medication. Rarely, it may purpose bleeding that is a critical facet effect of this medicinal drug. Make certain to report for your toddler’s physician if the aspect results persist or come to be bothersome or if your child stories bleeding.