Monday, September 22, 2008

Weddings, therapy, scenery

Writing is therapeutic. Maybe not as much as, say, a martini (the many qualities of which I have thankfully rediscovered lately), but therapeutic nonetheless. So, to those of you who read here, thank you for reading and assisting in my therapy. 

On to more interesting topics. 

I went to a wedding back where I grew up in CT this past weekend, and it was surreal on several levels. Always odd to see someone you have known for decades getting married, especially when you barely know the person they are marrying. But even weirder was that for the second time, without my prior knowledge, I was called out in a wedding speech. I should say from the outset that I am not someone who enjoys having any type of public attention put on them, so the idea of being singled out in front of hundreds of people is generally mortifying to me. 

This ended up being an amusing surprise, however, as the bride's father took the time to acknowledge my longtime friendship with the bride. I'm not entirely sure how thrilled the groom was that I got quite so many minutes in the speech, but it was nice nonetheless, even if it did completely catch me off guard. 

It was nothing like the great Nantucket wedding speech debacle of 2005, in which I was singled out as the idiot who turned down the bride when she asked me out a few years earlier (thus leading to the genesis of the relationship of said bride and her groom). I believe there were about 200 people at that wedding, all of whom laughed as I was forced to stand up and wave. If I could have swam off the island at that moment, I would have. 

Anyway, the weather this past weekend was absolutely perfect. As much as I love living in Cambridge, a day like that in Guilford makes me want to move back tomorrow. That won't be happening of course, but here's a few pictures from some of my favorite places there. 

Grass Island


Chaffinch Island

Jacob's Beach

4 comments:

Crispin H. Glover said...

This is where you grew up? It's insanely beautiful and idyllic.

Jimbama said...

that is the place- have you never been there? thought you visited me there at some point over the years...

Crispin H. Glover said...

Never been although I'd love a guided tour some day.

Henry Robinson said...

Buy vermact 6 mg online allows deal with many parasitic infections of your viscus tract, skin, and eyes. It works by way of paralyzing and killing the parasites causing the contamination. This medicine normally causes you to experience better pretty fast. However, you must maintain taking it as long because it's miles prescribed even after you feel better, to create tremendous that each one parasites are killed and don't come to be resistant.