Monday, April 21, 2008

Man Man

With: Yeasayer
4/12/08, Paradise Rock Club
Boston, MA
In attendance: Fletch, Steve

I realize that the following opinion puts me in the minority of basically everyone who cares about such things, but man oh man was I bored by Yeasayer's opening set. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for mid-tempo proggy-world music-type stuff. Maybe I drank too many of those super cold bottle/can hybrid beers and it affected my brain. Maybe it was the super-psychedelic show being projected behind the band that I think I last saw used on a 1994 HORDE tour (OOOOHHHHH, a giant blinking eye!) Or maybe I was just aware of the complete ass kicking to come in the next set. But they did nothing for me. 

Man Man were another story. I last saw them open for Modest Mouse last year and they completely overshadowed the headliner. This band is completely insane and unlike anything I've seen before. Of course, every article written about them contain the three same names (Frank Zappa, Tom Waits, Captain Beefheart), and those are fair comparisons, but there is much more going on here than just rehashing already-made sounds. The new record rabbit habits makes that quickly clear. But as good as that album is, this is a band that really needs to be experienced live.  Drums, keys, pots and pans, marimba, trumpet, sax, and anything else that was nearby is fair game by any member of the band at any moment. 90 minutes of compete chaos- the sold out crowd who mostly stood still for Yeasayer turned into a giant bouncing mass of people being led by 5 crazed carnival barkers dressed in white.  An absolute blast that I would implore anyone to go see live as soon as possible. 

I tried to find a video online that would best approximate what this is all about, and this one seemed to come closest despite the cruddy audio. 



4 comments:

Crispin H. Glover said...

I was slowly won over by "2080" but when I checked out the rest of Yeasayer's stuff I was bored nearly to tears. It's that weird genre of indie-adult contemporary. Who is craving this junk? I understand growing with a band as they start sounding more and more like a sweater and not giving up on them but who gets excited when a band's sebut album sounds this staid and "sophisticated." What a weird double bill. Reserved, passionate snoozefest followed by unbridled enthusiasm and mayham. Weirdness.

Jimbama said...

To Yeasayer's credit they are a solid and completely polished live band. I think it might be a little bit like seeing someone like Steely Dan in concert. Basically sounds like you're listening to the studio recording, and completely boring. To follow that up with guys in face paint throwing things around the stage is indeed an odd juxtaposition.

Listmaker said...

i couldn't agree more with both of you guys. 2080 is great, the rest is boring.

i caught part of both of these bands' sets in brooklyn and yeasayer was a snooze fest. man man blew me away.

the 9 straight playings of "don't worry be happy" that followed 4 straight playings of "kokomo" between the two bands almost drove me insane though.

Crispin H. Glover said...

I'm glad we both called them a snooze fest. A perfect description for any occasion. Likening them to Steely Dan just makes me like them less. Who likes those bloodless studio wizards?