Monday, June 30, 2008

The Edge of Heaven

6/29/08
Kendall Square Cinema

I'm not really up on Turkish filmmakers, so Fatih Akin is another director that I might not have ever been exposed to had it not been for my ticket taking days at the Brattle. But Head On happened to be showing one night a few years ago when I was working, and I was floored by it- completely loud, violent, intense, and surprisingly affecting.

So I have been eagerly awaiting the follow up, The Edge of Heaven, which opened locally this weekend. The over the top and bombastic tone of Head On is replaced with a much more contemplative and slower moving story here. Like in Head On, the issue of Turks living in Germany serves as a backdrop. And again I wish I knew more about this, as well as the greater political situation in Turkey, since it seems to impact so much of what is happening in the film.

This is a tough movie to write about without spoiling things (though Akin does inform us of the impending deaths of characters in the titles of two "chapters" of the movie). As always I am so grateful that I walked into this without having read a thing about it, so i'll leave out details here. I can say that there are multiple linking storylines that indirectly or directly impact each other, but this is not a Turkish version of Crash (though I would wager that some reviewers will lazily compare the two solely because of this similarity in structure). In fact, my only real criticism of the film is that these coincidences and near misses feel a bit forced and predictable at times, which is frustrating since that really wasn't what the movie was about. For me, at its heart this was a film about redemption and forgiveness between families, strangers, and cultures, and the emotional weight of these issues is stronger than anything I've seen recently.

The closing shot of this film is absolutely beautiful and left a crowded and otherwise chatty theater (old snooty Cambridge people and foreign movies are not a good mix) absolutely silent. This was easily one of my favorite films so far this year. 

2 comments:

Henry Robinson said...

Tadalafil 20 mg medicinal drug isn't encouraged to be used if you have any allery of Tadalafil or some other aspect gift inside the dosage form. Do now not take Tadasoft if you recently had a stroke, a coronary heart assault or when you have a extreme liver disease or very low blood stress. Drinking alcohol earlier than taking tadalafil can briefly impair the capacity to get an erection. To get the maximum benefit from the medicine, it's miles recommended no longer to drink immoderate amounts of alcohol earlier than taking this drug. Avoid taking this drug if you are also the use of a nitrate drug for chest ache or heart issues. Take it whilst you want it. Do now not take greater than once an afternoon.

Gamer Curls said...
This comment has been removed by the author.